My favorite pasta dish. Pasta alla carbonara, or “coal miners” pasta, is hearty, delicious and cheap eats. All you need is spaghetti, eggs, nutmeg, bacon, olive oil and cheese.
- 1 pound of spaghetti (1 box)
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 packed cup grated pecorino Romano
- 1/2 packed cup grated Parmesan
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces of pancetta or bacon, sliced
First boil your pasta until it is al dente. Be sure to reserve a cup of the pasta water for later use. While the pasta is boiling, brown the bacon – or pancetta – in a sauté pan. Beat two eggs with a few pinches of nutmeg. When the pasta is cooked, drain the noodles and return them to the pot. Season your pasta with olive oil, salt and pepper and mix in the beaten eggs. Toss with some of the reserved cooking liquid to create a sauce. Add the bacon, plenty of parmesan, and enjoy!