All you need is a little Hoisin. Lettuce wraps are a low-carb delicious and filling meal that is quick and easy to put together. The secret ingredient? Hoisin sauce. You can usually find Hoisin in the Asian aisle of your local market.
- Butter lettuce leaves
- 1 pound of ground pork or chicken
- 2 garlic cloves – diced
- 1/2 cup of diced onions
- 1/2 cup of diced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup of water chestnuts – drained from can
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup of Hoisin sauce (or to taste)
To begin, dice together a medley of your favorite vegetables. I prefer onions, mushrooms, and for crunch, water chestnuts. First, sauté your garlic, onions, and mushrooms on a medium-low. When tender, add in the ground pork (or chicken) in and cook on a medium high. Brown well and break up the ground pork (or chicken).
When the meat is finished cooking, add in your water chestnuts. Mix well before adding in your grated ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, and Hoisin . Adjust to taste. Season with salt and pepper, and then serve on clean butter lettuce leaves. Garnish with green onions and enjoy!